Suicidal Thoughts: What to Do
If you have thoughts of suicide, these options are available to you:
- Dial: 911
- Dial: 1-800-273-TALK (8255). For deaf and hearing impaired, click here for options to contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.
- Check yourself into the emergency room.
- Call your local crisis agency.
- Tell someone who can help you find help immediately.
- Stay away from things that might hurt you.
- Most people can be treated with a combination of antidepressant medication and psychotherapy.
If You Don't Have Insurance
The following options might be used:
- Go to the nearest hospital emergency room.
- Look in your local Yellow Pages under Mental Health and/or Suicide Prevention; then call the mental health organizations/crisis phone lines that are listed. There may be clinics or counseling centers in your area operating on a sliding or no-fee scale.
- Some pharmaceutical companies have "Free Medication Programs" for those who qualify.